According to a 2012 survey conducted by the Association for Pet Obesity Prevention, 53% of adult dogs were classified as overweight or obese by their veterinarian. In addition to the health concerns, many experts say that lack of exercise is a leading cause of hyperactive and destructive behavior in dogs.
As the owner of two beloved pit bull dogs, I'm always looking for ways to keep them well exercised. My busy schedule doesn't allow for the long walks recommended by professional dog behaviorists. I read about something called a flirt pole and thought it would be worth trying out. It works by converting the natural prey drive instinct in dogs into exercise as they attempt to catch the lure by sprinting, changing direction, and jumping.
So I bought one of the fiberglass rod flirt poles that are made in China. The good news is the dogs went crazy chasing the lure. The bad news is it lasted one day. One chomp on the tip of the rod and the fiberglass broke and splintered in my dog's mouth. I was angry and decided to design my own.
Sure, you can make a simple DIY flirt pole following instructions online. But I didn't want a simple flirt pole, I wanted the best flirt pole possible. So I developed the Squishy Face Studio Flirt Pole, which I truly believe is the ultimate dog exercise toy for busy people. Our Flirt Poles are made in the USA using components tested for durability, strength, safety and light weight.
Here are some features that make our Flirt Pole V2 the best:
- The only flirt pole on the market that uses bungee cord to prevent “whiplash” when lure is caught
- Perfect for people with limited mobility
- Our tough dog toys can be used with dogs of any size
- Also works great as a training tool and provides the mental exercise dogs need
- Regular size flirt pole has a 36” pole section and 52” cord
- Jr size available for smaller play areas with 24" pole and 42" cord
- Includes your choice of durable braided fleece lures in two color combinations, with or without squeaker
- Easily change lures without the use of fasteners that can injure your dog's mouth
- Lightweight. The Flirt Pole with the included lure weighs less than one pound
- Soft, non-slip grip and wrist strap for easy handling
Imagine a quiet evening at home after a long, grueling day at work. The only sound you hear is an occasional “snort, snort” and the muffled “fruff, fruff, fruff” of dream barking. Your furry best friend is sleeping like a log, tuckered out from playing with the Flirt Pole. You are relaxed too. Comforted knowing you are helping your four-legged family stay happy and healthy while still having time to put your aching feet up and let your body soak into soft cushions. This could be your night too!